WRITE, ENTER, WIN! IT'S EASY & 100% FREE!
- Students must be enrolled in grades 3-8 in public, private, or home school in the United States.
- Poems must be typed and submitted as Word or PDF documents. Spell-check is encouraged.
- Poems must be original work only. We use a plagiarize checker, however, it is the teacher’s responsibility to check for originality before submitting poems.
- All entries must be in English.
- Poems should not exceed 25 lines (exceptions apply).
- Poems written by more than one student are not allowed.
- Poems are encouraged to have an original title. However, the title of one of the given prompts is acceptable.
- All poems are judged by our highly experienced panel of elementary, middle, and high school teachers.
- Poems are judged based on creativity, originality, and overall effect. All selections are final.
- Once selected for publication, teachers will be directly notified by student "Award Letters" sent to their school address.
- We value privacy. No student home address is needed.
- Per contest, there will be 1 Grand Prize winner, 3 Division Winners, 4 Honorable Mention Winners, and 10 Teacher Winners.
- We do not market to students, and thus, it is the responsibility of the teacher to obtain parental permission.
- Students selected for publication will be published in the prestigious anthology titled "Award-Winning Young Writers of America." Publication is free of charge and optional.
- NO purchase is necessary to be published.
- Award-books are only offered to teachers and family members of published students. Award-books are not for sale to the general public.
- On rare occasions, small grammatical errors will be fixed.
- Parents, guardians, and teachers of students selected for publication will be given the opportunity to purchase an award-book for a nominal fee that covers production and shipping. Free award-books are given to Division Winners, Honorable Mention Winners, Teacher Winners, and the Grand Prize Winner. NO purchase is necessary.
- Any failure to adhere to these contest rules may result in disqualification.
- Financial hardship: if your child/student was selected for publication and you are experiencing financial hardship, please email us to request a complimentary copy of Award-Winning Young Writers of America. Only limited details are necessary: NationalScholarSociety@gmail.com
- There are NO entry fees. Publication is free of charge and optional. NO purchase is necessary to be published.
Less than 35% of poems are accepted for publication. This makes the annual National Scholar Society student poetry contest one of the most prestigious in the United States.Prompts
3 Divisions (prizes for each)
- The world as I see it...
- What my family means to me...
- My wish for the world...
- Grades 3-4
- Grades 5-6
- Grades 7-8
- 1 Grand Prize Winner: PlayStation 4 or XBox One or $300 Amazon.com Gift Card (winner's choice) + Award book with winning poem highlighted
- 3 Division Winners: $50 Amazon.com Gift Card + Award book with winning poem highlighted
- 4 Honorable Mention Winners: $25 Amazon.com Gift Card + Award book with winning poem highlighted
- 10 Teacher Winners (most entries): $25 Amazon.com Gift Card + Award book
More questions? Click here